Online Dating Rights. Mail Order Brides
PragueVietnamMoscowGuatemala

FOUR REASONS American men seek romance abroad: Prague, Ha Long Bay, Red Square, small villages in Latin America. Somehow meeting a Czech, Vietnamese, Russian or Peruvian/Colombian/Brazilian woman for a date at one of these exotic places is incomparably more exciting than meeting a hometown girl at the local coffeeshop. Opponents of a man's right to meet foreign women online never stop to consider how enjoyable it is to travel/work/live abroad and learn new cultures and languages while seeking a marriage partner.
Online Dating Rights
April 23, 2017, 05:53:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Movin' on...  (Read 3590 times)
bronxman
OPG

Ignore
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:15:46 PM »

Now that the whole Daddy Coy Miller rant is a big nothing, its back to basics...

“One of the things I love about this work is being able to be the Goliath in the room,” says Miller-Muro. “Giving a woman the power of having four suits in the room behind her—it’s an incredibly empowering thing.”

Um, yeah, like shooting flys with a howitzer.  Empowering.

"Miller-Muro says it’s difficult to measure what effect the act has had. Many of the marriages that might turn abusive were entered into before IMBRA was enacted, and it’s impossible to gauge how many women declined proposals from suitors with unsuitable pasts."

Unsuitable pasts?  Go...  Of course, you mean declined emails, don't you?  It will never be possible...stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

"But the act will make a difference, she says. That is, as long as the government fulfills its obligations under the law and keeps the brokers in line. And she’s vowed to make sure that happens."

Good going there, Layli.  We are soooo in line.  Come on down to the Imbra Tavern (just north of the San Jose, CR airport) and have a few beers with the blokes from the DOS DOJ and DHS and you can spill your vowing guts all over the floor.  The GAO will be there to take notes.

“Now we’re working on enforcement,” she says, to make sure that even mail-order brides get a chance at happily ever after.

Yeah, enforce this.  You mean as happy as American feminist women...that incredible lot of misery?

http://abajournal.com/magazine/for_mail_order_brides_happily_ever_after/

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 12:30:27 PM by bronxman » Logged
Delphi_Programmer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 08:45:59 PM »

The act also limits the number of fiancee visas that Americans can petition for...
Mr. Miller, if you are still reading and want to have a dialog with us, this is one of my major qualms with IMBRA.  I understand the need to combat abuse of fiance visas, but to have a lifetime two strikes and you're out policy I don't think is fair and equitable to everybody.

I think there should be some consideration of the circumstances by which someone terminated their marriage to a foreigner or otherwise became available to marry another foreign person. I don't think that someone who's second foreign wife was struck by lightning 20 years ago should be grounds for permanently barring him from ever marrying another foreigner.

But she does want to make sure that foreign women who meet American husbands through online matchmaking services—self-described international marriage brokers—aren’t abused...
Really?  Did they describe themselves as brokers?  A broker is someone who arranges deals and trades things like stocks and commodities.  To call an international personals ad service a marriage broker is a bold step indeed.  It also leaves the door wide open for future activists to ban the activity altogether.  I mean, if I really believed someone was "brokering marriages" today I would want that operation made illegal.  Do you really believe that international personals ad services are brokering marriages?

I would have far less a problem with IMBRA if matchmaking services weren't called "brokers",  the fiance visa limit was relaxed (at least for people whose circumstances are legitimate), and if logistics accommodations were made for initial disclosure requirements for people who still rely on postal mail for correspondence.  I mean, we don't really want to stop people from meeting international pen-pals, do we?

If an effort were made to acknowledge that meeting through international personals ad services was a legitimate way to meet someone, and that people like us are serious and do have honorable marriages, then I wouldn't have a problem with regulations that were made to ensure the safety and well-being of people, both men and women, American and foreign, who meet and marry this way.

I don't personally attack individuals or denigrate their religious beliefs.  I just want to have a meaningful dialog and clear up misunderstandings and misconceptions.

Get government out of the Personals Ads and out of our personal lives.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: